What is a Donor Advised Fund?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) provides donors with a centralized charitable giving vehicle. It allows philanthropically inclined individuals, families, and corporations to make an irrevocable charitable gift to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program and take an immediate tax deduction. Most sponsoring organizations of DAFs accept cash equivalents, securities, and certain other assets.
How It Works
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program.
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice.
- Simplicity—The DAF sponsor handles all recordkeeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility—Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax efficiency—Contributions are tax-deductible, and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support several charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy—A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs—There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).*
- No transaction fees—Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.*
- Privacy if desired—Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
- If you already have a fund, use our tool above to get started.
- Contact Amy Hasquet, Director of Annual Giving at email@example.com or (323) 234-3030 x140 to discuss using your donor-advised funds to support the Food Bank and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the Food Bank in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
- Legal name: Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
Address: 1734 East 41st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90058
Federal tax ID number: 95-3135649